Saturday, July 2, 2011

2010 6BC, 6 Hour Race at Briar Chapel -- 3rd

October 16th, 2010
Single Speed Division: 8 laps in 5:29:04
Soul Cycles Hooligan, 32:18, WTB Wolverine 2.2 tires

Felt good for the start of this race.  The field was not stacked with only Allen Gracey and Dale Greenwell as guys I knew could smoke me (minus a mechanical, medical issue...hmmm).  Also in the group was my friend and PMBAR partner Jay Lundi.  I had been fortunate enough to catch him around the 4+ hour mark every 6 race we had raced together, but we are very close in ability so ya just never know.  The race started well and I held a good pace throughout.  Felt pretty good going starting my 8th lap.  I knew if I posted a fast lap, I could go for a 9th.  As I passed the line someone yelled out, "Haskins, you're in 4th...".  I could see Jay less than one hundered yards ahead of me and overtook him about 1 mile in, I was now in 3rd.  About half way through the lap, going through a rock garden area, I passed Dale like he was standing still, because he was.  He was standing there with his crank arm in his hand.  I yelled out, "Bummer dude!", I was in 2nd!  Got to the fire road climb and decided to give it all I had, and then it happened.  My right leg cramped up.  I tried to fight it off and pulled with my left.  Bam! It cramped up and I barely got off the bike without it falling over.  I start walking and look back in time to see Jay starting up the hill.  As he went by he gave some words of encouragement, but I just told him, "Go,go, you got it!".  Even though I knew I was not going to catch him, I got back on the bike and spun as fast as I could without cramping.  As I headed up the street for the finish I saw my wife and kids watching from the sidewalk.  I came across the line in time for my 9th lap, but I was done.  Jay had gone out for his 9th (though it would not affect the standings), but I packed it in and went to hang out with my family.  I had taken 3rd and I was pretty darn happy with that.  I was also happy for Jay to take 2nd...it was about time he passed me at the end for once.

No comments:

Post a Comment