Saturday, July 2, 2011

2010 Race at the Reactor XC, Harris Lake--2nd

August 22, 2010
Single Speed Division: 14 miles, 2 Laps (32:31, 33:22), 1:05:54
Soul Cycles Hooligan SS, 32:18, w/Kenda Nevegal DTC 2.1's

This was the 3rd Race in the Triangle Series, but I missed the 2nd (Huckabuck) due to vacationing in sunny (but not humid) California.  A small SS field showed up for this race, but Matt Briskie was one of them and he crushed it.  I was stuck behind a group of guys who busted out fast, but then when I wanted to go faster (maintain my pace really) they had slowed it down.  I was not able to pass until the Black Diamond whoops in the back of the trail.  After passing the SS'ers in front of me, I had clear sailing the rest of the race.  I continued with a pace I was comfortable with (even with my 32:18 endurance gear) and spun it on to the finish ~1.5 minutes behind Briskie for 2nd.  I was too lazy to switch cogs or tires for this race, but it did not matter.  All that matters for me to do well in XC is to ride as fast as I can, and for several of the really fast guys not to show up. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment