Saturday, July 2, 2011

Tarwheel XC Race at Carolina North Forest--4th

This small pic is my only memento.
June 6th, 2010
Single Speed Division: 2 laps, 16 miles at 1:46:32 (53:49 + 52:43)
NEW White Soul Cycles Hooligan SS, 32:18, Maxxis Larsent TT eXCeption 2.0 tires.

This was my first XC race this year, and now in Single Speed instead of Beginner division.  The temp for this race was ~96 degrees and very humid.  It was tough.  Less than a mile into the race I reached for a bottle only to have sweat drip into my eyes.  First reaction is to wipe it...found out I cannot steer over a bump and around roots well with one hand and stinging eyes.  Crash!  Slowly got up and got back on the bike only to stop a hundred yards later to take a drink without crashing.  After that, I started to get into a groove that I felt I could handle with the heat.  I new I was not flying when another racer (Calvin Carr) passed me during the first lap, and he started two minutes behind me in the Sport division.  Still, the he must have gone out too fast given the heat as I passed him on the 2nd lap and cruised into a 4th place finish.  I'll take it (and a cup of cold water please)!






No comments:

Post a Comment